Simple way to health: clean your mould.
Mould can pose a host of problems in your home or office. Mould and fungus gro
w as a result of water damage, however minor. Structures in the Lower Mainland are particularly vulnerable to water intrusion because of the region’s oceanic climate and heavy rainfall, especially between October and March.
When the landing spot for rain becomes saturated with water, there’s no place for it to go. Water often migrates into cracks in roofs, walls, crawl spaces and basements. Mould grows most often on building components such as drywall, wood and wall framing.
Health Canada warns that there is a relationship between indoor mould, damp co
nditions and increased eye, nose and throat irritation. Organic contaminants should be taken seriously at your work place and if you see mould growing on surfaces near windows, you should alert your office building maintenance.
With this in mind we recommend that every building management company call in a moisture survey of the building materials, foundation and roof, followed by indoor air quality tests. Building managers should note that operating a mould free office building can be beneficial to business and can attract quality long-term tenants.
How should you immediately deal with surface mould?
There is a simple way to clean a spot where the mould is visibly concentrated. First, make sure you have a breathing mask that will protect you from breathing in mould spores. The most important thing to remember is that mould likes moisture so the clean-up should be as dry as possible.
- Vacuum the mold spot
- Take 1 tbsp of laundry detergent, 2 cups of water and a teaspoon of bleach and mix vigorously
- Take only the froth of the mix and apply to the spot by dabbing it on with a sponge
- Wipe away excess with a damp microfiber cloth
- Dry the spot with a hairdryer
- Clean your vacuum thoroughly
Read more: Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fniah-spnia/promotion/public-publique/home-maison/mould-moisissure-eng.php